Webster County, Nebraska Genealogy
Webster , Nebraska genealogy and family tree research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you track your personal Webster Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Webster County was founded on February 16, 1867 from Unorganized area of the Nebraska Territory. You see, the county was named in honor of Daniel Webster, the statesman and U.S. Senator from Massachusetts.
Currently the Webster County Seat is located in Red Cloud and also the county government website is http://www.co.webster.ne.us/
Places adjoining Webster County are Adams County (north), Clay County (northeast), Nuckolls County (east), Jewell County, Kansas (southeast), Smith County, Kansas (southwest), Franklin County (west), Kearney County (northwest).
Cities and towns situated in Webster County consists of Blue Hill, Red Cloud, Bladen, Cowles, Guide Rock.
Webster County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules exist for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mortality Schedules are available for 1880 . Industry and Agriculture Schedules exist for 1880 . The Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free downloadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Webster County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Webster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Nebraska Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Webster County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the great importance of Webster County court, probate, and land records as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Nebraska courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Nebraska citizens. The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Webster County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Make sure you speak to the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many workers will help people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the individual to complete the research.
The following details denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, land, probate, and court records are typically in Webster County. The dates suggested below tend to be the first noted records data in this county.
- Webster County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 621 N Cedar St, Red Cloud, NE 68970
- Phone: (402) 746-2716
- Webster County Clerk is responsible for Marriage Licenses and can also be expected to hold delayed birth registrations. Other records of interest to the researcher include military discharges, voter registrations, estray notices, marks and brands, physician’s registers, farm and
ranch names, and school registers.
- Webster County Register of Deeds is responsible for maintaining and securing the land records of the county. The duties include preserving of old land records and maintaining records that have been recorded which include, warranty deeds, mortgages, deeds of trust, plats and any other documents that affect a specific piece of land in the county.
- Webster Clerk of Courts is duties include misdemeanor cases, including traffic, preliminary hearing in felony cases, civil cases involving less than $45,000, small claims involving less than $2,400, probate, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, and eminent domain and function as juvenile courts.
- Probate Records: 1872
- Court Records: 1871
- Nebraska Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nebraska for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Nebraska Historical Records
- Databases include Nebraska Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Nebraska Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Nebraska Voter Lists & Census Records; Nebraska Immigration & Emigration Records; Nebraska Obituary Records; Nebraska Military Records; Nebraska Family Tree Records; Nebraska Pictures; Nebraska Stories, Memories & Histories; Nebraska Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Webster County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Webster County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is merely a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Webster County genealogy or family history related sites.
Webster Co. NE Books, Newspapers & Publications
Webster Co. NE Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Webster Co. NE Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Webster Co. NE Census Records
Webster Co. NE Cemeteries & Graveyards
Webster Co. NE Church & Bible Records
Webster Co. NE Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Webster Co. NE General and History Websites
Webster Co. NE Immigration & Naturalization
Webster Co. NE Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Webster Co. NE Military Records
Webster Co. NE Schools & Directories