Furnas County, Nebraska Genealogy
Furnas , Nebraska genealogy and family tree research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you track your personal Furnas Co., ancestors. Get going by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Furnas County was founded on February 27, 1873 from Unorganized area of the Nebraska Territory. You see, the county was named in honor of Robert Wilkinson Furnas, the third governor of Nebraska.
Currently the Furnas County Seat is located in Beaver City and also the county government website is http://www.furnascounty.ne.gov/
Places adjoining Furnas County are Harlan County (east), Norton County, Kansas (south), Decatur County, Kansas (southwest), Red_Willow County (west), Frontier County (northwest), Gosper County (north), Phelps County (northeast).
Cities and towns situated in Furnas County consists of Arapahoe, Beaver City, Cambridge, Edison, Hendley, Holbrook, xford , Wilsonville.
Furnas County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules exist for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Mortality Schedules are available for 1880. Industry and Agriculture Schedules exist for 1880. The Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free downloadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Furnas County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Furnas County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Nebraska Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Furnas County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the great importance of Furnas County court, probate, and land records as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Nebraska courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Nebraska citizens. The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Furnas County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Make sure you speak to the clerk's dept to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics just before visiting or asking for information because of many times changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Many workers will help people in obtaining the materials, but it is up to the individual to complete the research.
The following details denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, land, probate, and court records are typically in Furnas County. The dates suggested below tend to be the first noted records data in this county.
- Furnas County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 912 R St, Beaver City, NE 68926
- Phone: (308) 268-4145
- Furnas County Clerk is responsible for Marriage Licenses and can also be expected to hold delayed birth registrations. Other records of interest to the researcher include military discharges, voter registrations, estray notices, marks and brands, physician’s registers, farm and
ranch names, and school registers.
- Furnas County Register of Deeds is responsible for maintaining and securing the land records of the county. The duties include preserving of old land records and maintaining records that have been recorded which include, warranty deeds, mortgages, deeds of trust, plats and any other documents that affect a specific piece of land in the county.
- Furnas Clerk of Courts is duties include misdemeanor cases, including traffic, preliminary hearing in felony cases, civil cases involving less than $45,000, small claims involving less than $2,400, probate, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, and eminent domain and function as juvenile courts.
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- Nebraska Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nebraska for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events. They are prime sources for genealogical information.
Nebraska Historical Records
- Databases include Nebraska Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Nebraska Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Nebraska Voter Lists & Census Records; Nebraska Immigration & Emigration Records; Nebraska Obituary Records; Nebraska Military Records; Nebraska Family Tree Records; Nebraska Pictures; Nebraska Stories, Memories & Histories; Nebraska Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Furnas County Genealogy Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Furnas County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is merely a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Furnas County genealogy or family history related sites.
Furnas Co. NE Books, Newspapers & Publications
Furnas Co. NE Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Furnas Co. NE Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Furnas Co. NE Census Records
Furnas Co. NE Cemeteries & Graveyards
Furnas Co. NE Church & Bible Records
Furnas Co. NE Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Furnas Co. NE General and History Websites
Furnas Co. NE Immigration & Naturalization
Furnas Co. NE Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Furnas Co. NE Military Records
Furnas Co. NE Schools & Directories